The Sundance History
Sundance Mountain Resort: Our Story Begins Here
- Diner’s Choice Award 2018 – Foundry Grill
- #1 Resort in Utah by Conde Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards
- Liftopia Winner – Best in Snow 2017
- Certificate of Excellence, 2016 – TripAdvisor
- Best of State 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016 – Best Vacation Resort.
- Ranked 30th in Travel+Leisure’s World’s Best List 2014.
- Conde Nast Traveler Top 100 Readers Choice Awards 2013.
- Best of State 2002-2014 – The Tree Room – American Artisan; 2010 BOSS Award, Best Overall Restaurant in Utah.
- Top 10 Green Spas in 2013 by Organic Spa Magazine – April 2013.
- The Spa at Sundance was named a top-5 winner in Spa magazine’s 2011 Silver Sage Readers’ Choice.
- Sundance Mountain Resort was ranked #18 in Travel+Leisure’s list of top 50 U.S. Resorts on the 2011 World’s Best list.
- The Spa at Sundance was ranked 71st out of the Top 250 Spas in the U.S., Canada, Central America, the Caribbean, and at Sea in Conde Nast Traveler (June 2011).
- Sundance Mountain Resort was ranked #8 for Top 50 Ski Hotels and #19 for Top 20 Ski Resorts in North America on the Conde Nast Traveler’s December 2010 issue.
- Best of State 2010 – Best Day Spa.
- Conde Nast Traveler lists Sundance Mountain Resort among the Top 10 of the Top 50 Best Ski Hotels in the U.S. & Canada in their December 2009 issue.
- Conde Nast Traveler ranks Sundance Mountain Resort 27th among the Top 75 Mainland U.S. Resorts in their November 2009 issue.
- Listed in Conde Nast Traveler’s Fifteenth Annual Gold List in the January 2009 issue.
- Ranked ninth in Conde Nast Traveler’s Top 50 2008 Best Places to Ski and Stay.
- Forbes 4 Star Rating – Tree Room
- Wine Spectator Award of Excellence – Tree Room
- OpenTable Diners’ Choice Award – Foundry Grill
- Best of State 2008-2013 – Zoom in Park City – American Continental
- Best of State 2010-2012 – The Foundry Grill: 2010-2012 – Casual Dining – Brunch
- Fodor’s Travel – Summer’s 10 Best Outdoor Theater Experiences
- Top 20 Honeymoon Destinations in America by Bride Magazine
- 2012 Best of State award for Bridal/Wedding Services
- Sundance Mountain Resort was ranked 9th at 82.2% in the 2011 Ski Area Citizen’s Coalition Ski Area Report Card
- Sundance listed number 5 in the Ski Area Citizens’ Coalition for environmental stewardship (2009/2010 season)
- Sundance Mountain Resort receives the 2009 Sequoia Green Business Award from Utah Business Magazine. The Sequoia award honors businesses that have matured into a completely green business in practice and purpose
- 2009 SpaFinder Readers’ Choice Award, the Spa at Sundance ranked among the Top 10 for Best Environmental Practices
- Ueberroth Family Foundation donates $5000 to charity on behalf of Sundance Mountain Resort in recognition of the GIFTTS Award the resort received from the Preferred Hotel Group
- Sundance receives honorable mention by Ski Magazine for “Best Green Development” (2008)
- Sundance Mountain Resort is ranked in the top 10 Green Resorts by the Ski Area Coalition
- Received the Reed Smoot Environmental Award 2004 from the Provo Orem Chamber of Commerce
Sundance, the place, has given birth to a variety of powerful businesses all sharing the same core philosophy. Born of independent thought and creative execution, today the Sundance name represents innovation and change in all its manifestations. From the Sundance Preserve, Sundance Institute, Sundance Resort, Sundance Channel to the Sundance Catalog, the Sundance ventures touch millions of people every day.
Sundance Institute is a non-profit organization dedicated to the discovery and development of independent artists and audiences. Through its programs, the Institute seeks to discover, support, and inspire independent film and theatre artists from the United States and around the world, and to introduce audiences to their new work.
SundanceTV is a cable television network devoted to airing independent feature films, world cinema, documentaries, short films, and original programs, such as news about the latest developments from each year’s Sundance Film Festival. All are shown uncut and without commercials.
When Sundance was first established in 1969, there was a tiny store (the General Store) at the base of the resort which guests would frequently write to, requesting special items they had seen while visiting Sundance. Twenty years passed and requests for the store’s unique offerings spread beyond the box canyon. People who had visited Sundance began to write back to the store from all over the country: “Do you have any more of that item, and could I get it sent to me?” and people they knew wrote, “I saw an item my friend purchased at Sundance. Would it be possible for me to buy one?”
Robert Redford called together a few of his colleagues to discuss starting a mail-order catalog to fill these requests and to make Sundance’s unique items available to a wider audience. It started small. Four employees working from the old Sundance Resort firehouse put together the first Sundance Catalog, which mailed in the fall of 1989 to a relatively small group of General Store customers and friends.
Balancing the Triangle of Art, Commerce, and Environment
The concept of Sundance Cinemas defines and enriches the specialized exhibition business by raising the bar with exciting facilities that feature excellent presentation, upscale amenities, and value added customer services, all in a comfortable environment. We offer the best films in the marketplace for a discerning audience. In addition, Sundance Cinemas provides special event programming, educational programs, and other local events that make our facilities an important part of the fabric of its community.
Recent Press about Sundance Mountain Resort
10 Top Hotel Instagrams From Last Month
Winter Holiday – 10 most popular destinations
Sundance: Where your Imagination is as Engaged as your Ski Edges
“Largest Free-Flying American Flag in the World at Sundance
Hôtels de cinéma: États-Unis
The world’s most beautiful ski hotels 2018
Back to the Beginning: Experiencing Sundance 2018 at Sundance Mountain Resort
Utah skiing is getting greener; Sustainability a priority at 3 of the state’s ski destinations
Winter Road Trippin’ – Sundance Mountain Resort – Video of ZipTour, Lodging and Spa
Relax and recharge at Sundance
Utah’s Best Snowboard Schools and Education Programs
23 Reasons to Travel This Winter
Sundance Mountain Resort: un refugio entre las montañas
Sundance Harvest Market invites all to the mountains
Voices from the River: The movie that changed fly fishing
Top Resorts in the West: Readers’ Choice Awards 2017
Sundance Harvest Market invites all to the mountains
The Top 6 Independent Hotels For A Winter Vacation
What’s New At Utah Ski Resorts For The 2017-18 Season
Change of scene: ‘Joseph’ musical goes Western at Sundance Summer Theatre
Weekend best bets: 5 events to soak up the last weekend in July
Live Drama in Robert Redford’s Backyard
Bluebird Cafe kicks of 25th Anniversary Year
Summer Fun at Utah Ski Resorts
12 Utah Restaurants With The Most Amazing Outdoor Patios You’ll Love To Lounge On
Donny Osmond explains how he keeps the romance alive
Sundance Press Releases
Sundance Privacy Notice
Last Updated on May 25, 2018
Sundance Partners, Ltd. (“Sundance,” “we,” “us”) operates the website www.sundanceresort.com the “Site”). Sundance is committed to maintaining the privacy of personally identifiable information (which includes information such as name, credit card number, phone number, address and email address) that you provide to us when using our Site or services. This privacy notice describes how we treat the information we receive when you share personally identifiable information with us. It also describes the choices available to you regarding our use of your personally identifiable information and how you can access and update this information.
If you have questions or complaints regarding this privacy notice, or our practices, please contact us.
Sundance follows the following principles in order to protect your privacy:
- We do not collect any more personally identifiable information about you than is necessary;
- We only use your personally identifiable information for the purposes we specify in this privacy notice, unless you agree otherwise;
- We do not keep your personally identifiable information if it is no longer needed; and
- Other than as we specify in this privacy notice, we do not share your personally identifiable information with third parties.
Information We Collect
We collect personally identifiable information from you if you request information from us, sign up to join our email lists, make a reservation with us, register for an account, participate in our promotions, such as contests and sweepstakes, take our surveys, use our products and services, contact us about a purchase, or email, call or otherwise communicate with us. In order for you to initiate or complete a reservation with us, we request certain personally identifiable information from you on our reservations form, including your contact information (such as name, email, home address and driver’s license or other identification number) and financial information (such as credit card number, expiration date).
If you make a reservation for someone else, we will also collect the name and address of that person so that we can provide them with the services requested. When you provide us with this information we will only use it for the specific reason for which it is collected.
Sundance automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, domain type, browser version, service provider, cookies, and the pages you request.
How We Use Your Information
Information we collect may be used in the following ways:
- To respond to your requests or inquiries.
- To process and complete your transactions, including, as applicable, customer service, order confirmation, billing, delivering products or services, and otherwise fulfill our contractual obligations to you.
- With your consent, to provide you with newsletters, articles, alerts and announcements.
- With your consent, to share offers from other companies with you.
- With your consent, to conduct market research.
- To analyze transactions and purchase histories to improve our product and services offerings.
- As necessary to verify and validate your identity.
- To keep records of our interactions with you if you make a reservation or otherwise deal with our representatives.
- To prevent, investigate or provide notice of fraud, unlawful or criminal activity, or unauthorized access to or use of personally identifiable information, our Site or data systems.
- To carry out our legal obligations and enforce our legal rights.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide your personally identifiable information to us.
You have the right to request a copy of any personally identifiable information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of your personally identifiable information, please contact us using the contact information below. We may request proof of your identity before sharing such information. If you discover that the information we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, you may ask us to correct that information.
You may ask us to delete the personal data we hold about you in certain circumstances. It may not be possible for us to delete all of the information we hold about you where we are fulfilling a transaction or have a legal basis to retain the information, however please contact us to discuss how we can assist you with your request.
When we process your information on the basis that you have consented to such processing, you have the right to withdraw your consent, or ask us to stop or restrict processing the personally identifiable information we have about you.
You may also ask us to transfer your personally identifiable information to a third party in certain circumstances.
Please direct any questions, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, to 801.223.4067.
We will retain your information for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, or as otherwise legally required or permitted.
If you receive marketing emails from us you can unsubscribe to our emails by clicking “unsubscribe” within each email. You may not opt-out of service-related communications, which are not promotional in nature.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
As is true of most Sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files in order to analyze trends in the aggregate and administer the site. This information may include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system and date/time stamp.
We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. A session ID cookie expires when you close your browser. We use session ID cookies to track your login status. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. We use persistent cookies to track your activity on the Site as well as to serve you with relevant advertisements from Sundance on unrelated websites.
You can remove persistent cookies by following directions provided in your Internet browser’s “help” directory. Click here for more information on cookies, including how to disable them. If you choose to disable cookies, it may limit your use of certain features or functions on our Site or service. To manage Flash cookies, please click here.
Behavioral Targeting / Re-Targeting
Sundance works with third parties to track your activity on our website, as well as to serve you with relevant advertisements from Sundance and other advertisers on unrelated websites.
These advertising services use pixel tags (aka; web beacons), cookies and other tracking technologies to collect and store non-personal information about your visit to our website. Should you visit our website using your mobile device, an advertising service may also collect your device’s unique identifier, or location, and attempt to synchronize your mobile website visit with other website visits.
Please note that by opting out, you will continue to see ads, but they may not be as relevant based on your travel interests.
We also use Google Analytics to provide us with information about how visitors engage with the Site so that we can improve it. You may choose to opt out of Google Analytics and still have full access to the Sites. Further information about Google Analytics, and how to opt out, can be found here.
Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information
Our practices with respect to the disclosure of personally identifiable information include the following:
- We may disclose your personally identifiable information to third parties with your express consent.
- We share your personally identifiable information with our parent company, affiliated businesses, and with the vendor(s) whose products you purchase, for their use in a manner described in this Policy.
- We use third party service providers to assist us in providing our services and Sites, including database backup providers to protect our data, and a fraud prevention service. We may disclose your personally identifiable information to third parties who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf or for your benefit. We may utilize the services of third parties to verify customer data, or to supplement other information we have collected. We may also contract with third parties to host our Site and to conduct market research. All service providers are authorized to use your personally identifiable information only as necessary to provide their respective services to us, and are obligated to protect your personally identifiable information under contract terms which are no less protective than those set forth in this Policy.
- We may disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request.
- Your personally identifiable information may be disclosed as part of a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of our assets, and could be transferred to a third party as one of the business assets in such a transaction. It may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership. We will use reasonable efforts to direct any such transferee to use your personally identifiable information in a manner that is consistent with our privacy notice.
You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Site of any change in ownership or uses of your personally identifiable information, as well as any resulting choices you may have regarding your personally identifiable information.
The security of your personally identifiable information is important to us. When you enter sensitive information such as credit card number on our registration or order forms, we encrypt that information using SSL.
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personally identifiable information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personally identifiable information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
The information we collect about you is stored in limited access servers. We maintain safeguards to protect the security of these servers and your personally identifiable information. We retain personally identifiable information only as long as necessary to complete a purchase, thwart fraud, or provide customer service.
Links to Other Sites
If you click on a link to a third-party site you will leave our site and go to the site you selected. Because we cannot control the activities of third parties, we cannot accept responsibility for any use of your personally identifiable information by such third parties, and we cannot guarantee that they will adhere to the same privacy practices as us. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any other site you visit or service provider from whom you request services.
Changes to This privacy notice
We reserve the right to modify this privacy notice at any time. If we make material changes to this policy, we will notify you here, or by means of a notice on the Site. If we make any substantial change to the way we use your personally identifiable information, we will notify you by email. You may have an opportunity to opt out of such new or different uses of your personally identifiable information prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
The Site is controlled and operated by Sundance from the United States. If you are located outside of United States, you acknowledge and understand that any personally identifiable information you submit will be transferred to us here in the United States, the laws of which your country may consider inadequate for data protection. Sundance does not intend to subject itself to the laws or jurisdiction of anywhere outside of the United States.
California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us using the contact information below.